Wednesday, May 24, 2006

modern psalm 23

here is a version of psalm 23 that was part of last weeks sermon @ northernhills

Psalm 23 Antithesis (author: anonymous)

The clock is my dictator, I shall not rest.
It makes me lie down only when exhausted.
It leads me into deep depression.
It hounds my soul.

It leads me in circles of frenzy, for activities sake.
Even though I run frantically from task to task, I will never get it all
done,
For my ideal is with me
Deadlines and my need for approval, they drive me.

They demand performance from me, beyond the limits of my schedule.
They anoint my head with migraines
My in-basket overflows.

Surely fatigue and time pressures shall follow me
All the days of my life.
And I will dwell in the bonds of frustration forever.



here is the _true_ version

Psalm 23 (The Message)

God, my shepherd!
I don't need a thing
You have bedded me down in lush meadows
You find me quiet pools to drink from

True to your word
You let me catch my breath
And send me in the right direction

Even when the way goes through Death Valley,
I'm not afraid when you walk at my side
Your trusty shepherd's crook makes me feel secure

You serve me a six-course dinner right in front of my enemies
You revive my drooping head
My cup brims with blessing

Your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life
I'm back home in the house of God for the rest of my life.


which psalm 23 do you live by?

No comments: