Monday, May 22, 2006

in the world.. not of it

as you may have noticed, theTunes is full of christian artists only... this has to do with one of the milestones in my life... when i gave up on most secular music in 1993. it was a crazy summer and after a retreat where i had re-dedicated my life (for the 18th time) and felt that to be in the world but not of it entailed giving up one something that kept me in the world. 2 corinthians 5 and 2 corinthians 10

to me... this meant giving up on worldly music and listening to almost exclusively christian music... so.. i gathered up _all_ of my non christan CDs and tapes (roughly 250-300) and the youth group and had them help me break all of the CDs and tapes. they thought that i was crazy.. cause this was about $3000 worth of CDs... including the complete depeche mode collection (including the 3 box set of singles) and an autographed copy of infrared roses (jerry garcia came to cu-boulder to pick up his soon to be step daughter) but through it all.. i felt better with each CD i broke. i was left with about 6 CDs.. ugggg

but you see... back in the day... there was not much variety and the christian music scene was not as diverse and mature as it is now. my choices were michael w smith, steven curtis chapman, amy grant (all in thier crossover hayday), michael card, steve camp, and praise music

i started to sift through and search out all christian music i could and started to run into jems like jars of clay (praise in the rockies), pfr, dc talk, newsboys, and heavier offerings like shawl, mortal, deitiphobia

i knew that christian music had come when i got one of the 20 copies of the thrid day EP tape that had been sent to denver...

since then... i have for the most part listened to christian music only.. with some exceptions (odd.. but eminem struck a chord)

i have started to re-think my position of christian music only and not listening to secular music. i have wondered if my seperation and isolation is a good thing... or if by holding to my CxN music only stance.. and having guys at work wondering what band i am listening to... that i am creating opportunities for discussing faith issues.

in recent months, i have finally grown enough gumption to have CxN related reading material on my desk at work (currently 'face down' and 'jesus freaks')

i still think that supporting CxN artists and listening to CxN themed and based music is still best for me... it helps keep God on my mind .. even if it is subliminally or as i am cutting people off and honking at the guy going too slow for me in traffic.

i understand that people that say that by isolating and insulating yourself from worldly music and secular artists.. that you lose perspective and some fall into using CxN music as a crutch. it also helps perpetuate the perception that christians are out of touch with world and too sheltered.

i often think that it might be ok to start listening to more secular music.. but then i find that the music and content are not to the level that i get from some CxN musicians. i also think that you don't have to lift the sewer cover to know what is underneath. we get enough exposure secular music from TV, movies, resturants and elevators... and i still prefer CxN artists.

1 comment:

Joel said...

I went through a similar thing. Wish I hadn't dumped the white Santana Album. I have come full circle now. The difference is that in order for me to purchase "secular" artists, they have to offer something quite special.